Are you pursuing a graduate or postgraduate degree from the UK? Do you have plans to settle in the country of opportunities for good after completion of the course? Then this guide on how to get a permanent residency status in the UK as an international student is for you. We will tell you everything about PR in the UK.

They Call it Indefinite Leave to Remain

The permanent residency in the UK is called Indefinite Leave to Remain or ILR. The process of becoming the UK citizen goes down this road. If you are an international student, the process to apply for an ILR is quite simple.

The Steps to Apply for ILR

  1. After your degree, you get a time of 3 months to get a job in the UK. Once you secure a job, you are able to apply for a Tier 2 Visa which is a general work visa. Note that you have to apply for a Tier 2 visa if you are not a citizen of European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.
  2. After you have secured a general work visa, you have to be living in the UK for 5 continuous years. It is only after 5 years of your stay in the UK you can apply for a permanent residency card.
  3. Once you have secured a permanent residency card or ILR, you can apply for the British citizenship after completing 1 year of residency.

What are the Requirements to Apply for the Work Visa?

There are always a couple of factors and eligibility criteria that you need to fulfil before you can all hop on the train happily ever after. So, the thing is that, you might think securing a job will be easy and all, yet, the reality is quite saddening. It is quite difficult for the non-European students to get a job in the UK. Anyway, let us focus on the happy side, shall we? So, how do you know that you have what it takes to apply for a Tier 2 visa? You should meet the following eligibility criteria -

  1. You should have a certificate of sponsorship that is valid for your job
  2. You should have proof that you are being paid appropriately for the job
  3. Qualify an English language proficiency test
  4. You should have enough savings in your bank account that you can survive once you step in the UK
  5. Show them that you can travel and provide a travel history for the last 5 years.
  6. Have a tuberculosis test result if you are from a country listed here
  7. If you are going to work with vulnerable population, then you must provide a criminal record certificate from a country that you have lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years.

What is a Certificate of Sponsorship?

A certificate of sponsorship is what we can also call an appointment letter. This document holds your personal details and the information of the job you have been offered. It is not an actual certificate. So you do not need to take a print and submit it anywhere. The certificate of sponsorship is an electronic record. Every employer gives a certificate of sponsorship reference number which will be added to the application. Remember that your certificate of sponsorship reference number is only valid for 3 months after issuance and can be used only once.

What is Regarded as an Appropriate Salary?

The appropriate salary accepted by the government in the UK is £30,000 per year at least. You can even check your salary for it appropriateness here.

How much Personal Savings are Needed?

The government mandates say that you must have £945 in your bank account 90 days before the date you apply for the visa.

How to See Yourself Take that Tier 2 Visa?

To get a Tier 2 visa, you need a job. To get a job, you need a degree. To get a degree, you need to complete the assignments. So, how to ensure that you are getting high-grades in your assignment? You can get a quality assignment writing help from My Assignment Services! We have the best assignment writing assistance from the best team of assignment experts at the best assignment price at exists. All you have to do is send us the assignment details and we will handle the rest.

Our Experts can answer your Assignment questions instantly.

Ask Question

Loved reading this Blog? Share your valuable thoughts in the comment section.

Add comment

About the Author



Hello, everyone! I’m Celina, an educationist and academic consultant. I enjoy reading, learning, and implementing the same in the assignments. I also take a lot of pride in guiding students with their assignments. I have 6 years of experience in writing assignments for students and when not doing that I follow my passion for blogging. I spent my spare time often researching new trends of writing.


0 Comment

Get It Done! Today

Applicable Time Zone is AEST [Sydney, NSW] (GMT+11)
Upload your assignment
  • 1,212,718Orders

  • 4.9/5Rating

  • 5,063Experts

Order Now

My Assignment Services- Whatsapp Tap to ChatGet instant assignment help